The New Yorker’s top-hatted mascot bid goodbye once before, back in August of 1937, when Otto Soglow gave us Tilley, not in a Cadillac, but in the back of a Victoria, and embarking from The Plaza Hotel, not Times Square. Back then, Tilley was substituting for E.B. White, who had decided on taking a leave of absence from New York & The New Yorker. The drawing appeared at the bottom of White’s farewell Talk of The Town piece. A tearful Thurber dog follows close by the rear wheel. Eustace tips his hat to two waving women in black, holding muffs: Peter Arno’s Whoops Sisters.