My my my, there certainly are a lot of books about my cartoonist hero, James Thurber. I thought it would be fun to show the ones in the Spill‘s library, but ran into two more while checking online for any current titles I’d missed ( #11, listed below, is out just this month…are there even more? Let me know). Three of the books below have been indispensable to me: Burton Bernstein’s biography, Bowden’s bibliography, and Harrison Kinney’s massive biography. I bought Mr. Bernstein’s biography while in college along with Brendan Gill’s Here At the New Yorker. Those two books (along with The Thurber Carnival) were my rocket fuel to Manhattan and to the pages of the New Yorker.
(pictured at the top of the post: a Thurber eraser)
1. James Morsberger. James Thurber. Twaynes United States Authors Series, 1964.
2. Edwin T. Bowden. James Thurber: A Bibliography. Ohio State University Press, 1968.
3. Richard C. Tobias. The Art of James Thurber. Ohio University Press, 1969.
4. Charles S. Holmes. The Clocks of Columbus. Athenium, 1972.
5. Burton Bernstein. Thurber. Dodd, Mead, 1975.
6. Robert Emmet Long. James Thurber. Continuum, 1988.
7. Thomas Fensch (Ed.). Conversations With James Thurber. University Press of Mississippi, 1989.
8. Neil A. Grauer. Remember Laughter: A Life of James Thurber. University of Nebraska Press, 1994.
9. Harrison Kinney. James Thurber: His Life and Times. Henry Holt, 1995.
10. Alan Vanneman. James Thurber: A Readers Guide. CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform, 2015.
11. Bob Hunter. Thurberville. Trillium, 2017.